Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Spotify: Leighton Meester "Heartstrings"

Album Title: Heartstrings
Release Date: October 28, 2014
Singer/Songwriter: Leighton Meester
Producer: Jeff Trot


Spotify, the digital music player that allows you to stream music online is a great source and access to countless artists, albums and simply put, millions of songs. It allows you to listen to music categorized by musical genres, moods,  such as " and depending on your account, so much of these music can be enjoyed for free. I've personally found Spotify to be an awesome place to discover songs, I would have no prior knowledge of until hearing them on Spotify or be introduced to artists, I would have never otherwise stumble upon, if it were not for the structure in which Spotify allows you to explore and listen to music. Occasionally I listen to Spotify on my computer, as background music, while working on other things and other times, I intentionally log unto Spotify, to browse around, searching for musical inspirations. I have also found Spotify to be a great source for previewing albums, before deciding to purchase it. With that experience and notion in mind, I would like to start sharing my musical discoveries via Spotify, beginning with the album "Heartstrings" by Leighton Meester. 



Most people know Leighton Meester as an actress. She famously starred in the CW hit television series, Gossip Girl, as well as the film, Country Strong alongside Gwyneth Paltrow, which allowed her to utilize and expose her vocal abilities. Regardless of her popularity on screen and the knowledge that she can sing, not as many people know her or refer to her as musical artist, that she is. Now, with her own collections of original songs and an album, titled "Heartstrings", I think that is about to change... For a television/movie actress to add recording artist and songwriter to her repertoire, expectations may vary on what her album may bring, what type of audience it would captivate, what sound she would contribute to the music industry, who she is when she isn't playing a role but being simply an individual, expressing her authentic self through music. Personally, regardless of who she is, I have found her album to be quite special. It has only been about twenty-four hours since I first started listening to it, but it has clearly become one of my current favorites. Her songs and voice reveals a side of her that I find intriguing. I have to admit I was surprised by her style and her sound, because it is unlike what most people may expect from a young Hollywood star, so famously linked to everything pop, maybe not pop music necessarily, but popular culture, everything and anything that exemplifies what is trendy and currently "cool" and perhaps because of this, the sounds of pop music, may be what I was subconsciously thinking I would hear, but her album is more than just popular music. It has the sound of indie, rock and pop music, even hints of country and blues. Most significantly, Leighton Meester's album, "Heartstrings" is different enough to separate itself from the expected, but it is still so cool.




Check out: Leighton Meester's cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" with Singer/Songwriter, Dana Williams on YouTube.