Monday, October 27, 2014

Debut Album: Alex & Sierra





The latest winner of America’s X FACTOR, pop acoustic duo Alex & Sierra, has finally released their Debut Album, titled "It's About Us". It is an album I had been anticipating for since their appearance on the X FACTOR. Even as contestants on the X FACTOR, it was evident that they will eventually become more than just winners on a nationwide talent show. Their performances possessed the qualities of hit makers, pop culture idols, authentic song writers, genuine artists and even more interestingly, unlike most boy and girl duos, their connection goes beyond the songs they sing, they are a real life couple with a love that transcends as authentic, sweet, deep, supportive and inspiring. Their chemistry is undeniable. They fit together so organically and it reflects in their music, in their harmonies, in their vocal exchanges, in their dynamic and in their song choices. Perhaps, in conjunction with their talent, and the fact that I think they are both attractive, beautiful people, their romantic relationship seems to carry with it a kind of rawness that can’t always be acted out or replicated, a love story that seem to retell itself over and over again and into the delivery of their songs. 

"Tonight you can leave your mark. No one's watching in the darkness. Kiss me on the neck make a beautiful scar. Anywhere you like. No regrets..."



There is an honesty to the lyrics they are singing to one another, that I think is unique and truthfully, rare to witness. To sing lyrics such as "Gimme something I can't live without. With the hours only 24. Every second's a revolving door. I'm gonna hold unto your heart for sure. 'Til the end of time. It can be a lonely world. I want forever times forever so...", to each other and feel as a listener that perhaps, these aren’t just words but reality for these two individuals sharing their heart to everyone else, is a very powerful statement. 

"You're staring out the window and I'm out here in the street. You stand there like a scarecrow and I'm begging you to speak. You used to be my solid ground now I'm drowning in the sea and I just want to believe in you and me. I just want to believe in you and me..."




I am excited to finally be listening to their original music and the entirety of their album. It is exactly what I expected their album to be and that is a positive thing, because I wanted to hear Alex & Sierra, the sound, the artists and this new pop acoustic duo, I had already fallen in love with.

Amongst songs that reflect the signature sound of Alex & Sierra, there are also several songs on this album that seem to showcase a different side to their artistry, perhaps a sound that even fans of Alex & Sierra, may not have expected to hear. These are the songs that I think reflect that diversion from their signature style: Cheating, Just Kids & Here We Go. Then of course, there are those classic ballads that I just love, the kind that, I believe me, reflects so much of that signature sound of Alex & Sierra, simple yet emotional with thought provoking, powerful lyrics: Bumper Cars, Little Do You Know, Back To You, about relationships and love. These songs also happen to be a few of my favorites on this album, but honestly, to have a favorite song in this album is like splitting hairs for each song is solid, in both the lyrics and melody.There is one interlude in this album, It's About Us. It is probably my favorite one minute of music in the entire album.  A part of me wish it went on longer, but it is so powerful, with inspiring lyrics and melody that moves me so personally and deeply that one minute of this interlude on repeat was definitely something I found myself constantly doing!

Interlude: "Life's about so many things. It's all about our hopes and dreams. It's all about sticking it out through all the ups and downs. 'Cause it's hard to accept the narrative of the modern world and how we live. So we change my world and change my view and start taking better care of you. Because it's about us. It's about you and me. Now it's about us. It's about us and what we can do to keep each other alive. It's about us."


I believe this album gives its' listeners a range of songs to enjoy. These songs reflect their range of sound and their diversity in style. Personally, I think this debut album is a well produced, strong collection of songs for Alex & Sierra.