Friday, January 30, 2015

Album: Nicki Minaj's THE PINKPRINT


Just a day after its' release date, December 15, 2014, I decided to take a wild chance on THE PINKPRINT, Nicki Minaj's latest album.  Never having bought a Nicki Minaj album prior to this one and having only been familiar with her songs, popularized through radio, I knew more or less on what I can expect with her rap songs, and and up beat, hard-hitting anthems. What I was surprised with, was the vulnerability she also expressed in this album. It wasn't long after I purchased the album, when I began to come across reviews and articles on how this album was actually a diversion from what you may hear in her previous album or the Nicki Minaj tunes that have made her so famous and even controversial. Yes, she still showed off those solid, impressive rap skills but she also shared more than her fast talking capabilities, catchy licks and confident attitude but also her talent as a singer, songwriter, sharing her most intimate experiences, revealing such delicate topics and emotions, both sexually and personally. THE PINKPRINT is definitely full of adult content, so not your family kind of album, but it is strong, solid album. I believe in Nicki Minaj's artistic voice and I appreciate her story and what she is sharing through her music.  I have been enjoying listening to her voice, the feminine flare she brings to rap music and I think she has a beautiful singing voice, which honestly, I was thrilled to hear. I appreciate any artist who take risks and find ways to keep expanding on their artistry and surprising us with their talents. I think Nicki Minaj took a risk in extending her voice beyond rap music, but incorporating R&B, Pop and Ballads into her album and I believe she succeeded in her venture to expand her identity as a pop icon, musician, artist and person. It's hard for me to view her now, simply as a rap artist, after  this album. 

THE PINKPRINT features not only Nicki Minaj but several huge, well known, hit-making artists, whom she collaborates with. These artists include Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Chris Brown, Skylar Grey, Lil Wayne, Drake, Jeremih, Jessie Ware, Meek Mill and Lunchmoney Lewis.

I must admit, I love this album. It is definitely one of my favorite albums of 2014 and is continually on play in my car, even after having bought it over a month ago. I could possibly listen to the entire album, without skipping songs, but just like most albums, I still have my favorites, those tracks I seem to find myself replaying more times than others. My personal favorites from this album are The Crying Game, I Lied, All Things Go, The Night Is Still Young, Pills & Potions, Bed of Lies and Grand Piano, a ballad I can listen to over and over again. These are the kind of songs, I normally love listening to anyways. In some of these tracks, what I find myself enjoying most about it, is particularly the strong, emotional melody lines. In a couple of the other tracks, it is for that subtle yet existing beats that seemingly create that groove that you can't resist moving to. The smooth, sexy rhythm within those R&B tracks really got to me. Get On Your Knees featuring Ariana Grande and Feeling Myself featuring Beyonce are two fun songs with a strong perspective that has that appealing, pop sound to it, that if not for its' super hyped sexual references, could no doubt be an instant radio hit, if it bypasses the caution that must and should be taken when deciding on which songs can be put out on public radio. For me, having this album, has given me the opportunity to be introduced to each track and enjoy the songs, that may not always be appropriate for public radio or just songs that won't simply hit the radio waves. I know I like a song, when I start to awaken and feel that internal desire within me to dance, to visualize choreography, and for me, that is my natural way of connecting. It is that instinct to move because of music that moves you. Nicki Minaj's THE PINKPRINT,  does that for me. 

The Deluxe Version of THE PINKPRINT includes three extra songs: Shanghai, Win Again and Mona Lisa.

The Deluxe Version exclusive from Target, includes the three songs in the Deluxe Version, with an additional song, titled Put You In A Room. 

THE PINKPRINT has explicit lyrics and is definitely for the mature listener but a clean version of the album, without those curse words, is available on iTunes.



Album: THE PINKPRINT
Artist: Nicki Minaj
Released Date: December 15, 2014
Executive Producers: Dwayne "The President" Carter, 
Bryan "Baby Birdman" Williams 
and Ronald "Slim Tha Don" Williams
Published and Copyrighted by Cash Money Records, Inc.